Home  |  Großgmain  |  Plainburg Castle drucken

Plainburg Castle

 

Plainburg Castle - the family seat of the Counts of Plain and a symbol of Großgmain - is one of Austria's oldest castle ruins and offers a magnificent view over Großgmain and the surrounding mountains. All that remains of the original structure are the outside walls, with a thickness of 1.4m - almost 5 feet - and standing to a height of over 5m (16 feet). A short climb rewards the visitor with the opportunity to stop and rest awhile at the viewing platform overlooking Großgmain. Before it became the seat of the Counts of Plain, the mountain was a Celtic burial ground during the late Bronze Age around 1200 BC. Some time later, in about 1100 AD, Count Werigand of Plain built Plainburg Castle.